Thursday, November 3, 2011

God Opening My Eyes and Touching My Heart

After I finished my intensive course here in CR (Costa Rica), I began volunteering. My goal was to see if working at an orphanage is something I would like to do with my future. I didn’t have a very strict plan as to what I would do. I certainly didn’t think that God would work the wonders in my heart that He did.

Since I first arrived to CR I have been working with a group in one of the slums on Saturdays. What we do is teach a Bible lesson to a group of kids. I have been teaching the older preteens. It is something that I look forward to doing every week. The kids are all so sweet and lovable.

This was the first time that I had ever been to a slum. At first I was pretty shocked because I didn’t realize that this ministry was even in a slum. The people in this neighborhood live in houses made of scraps. The families don’t own the houses and many don’t have bathrooms. Once I became involved with the children, I completely fell in love with them.

Every time you hug one of those kids they just eat it up. With each hug that you share with a child in this neighborhood, it feels as if you are taking on a part of their burden. Teaching them the Bible is offering them hope in a God that truly loves them like no one else does. Spending time with and respecting both the children and their parents, I pray, help’s them to see how worthy and important they are. This time that I have had with these children has been priceless.

Also I have been working 2 days a week at a baby orphanage. There are about 18 children under the age of 5 in this home. During my time at the orphanage I hold babies, feed babies, and play with the babies and the little children. I LOVE IT!!! I mean, that’s an understatement….I LOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEE them! Now they all know me, and we are ALL best friends! They call me “tia” aka “aunt.” Before this I was really hesitant around little babies, but not anymore. Today I was holding a 2 month old and an 8 month old at the same time. Haha, God gives us the ability to do what He needs us to do. This week is my last week and leaving them here is going to be SO hard.

Another ministry that I have volunteered with is Christ for the City. Mainly I have been working with a medical mission’s team. Christ for the City works in a neighborhood called “La Carpio” here in San Jose. This neighborhood is home to mainly Nicaraguans living on the city’s dump. Families here live in very poor conditions, struggling daily to eat. A medical mission’s team came with doctors and dentists to offer free services. I helped translate and take care of kids. Of course I also held many babies :). It was really fun to use my Spanish in that way. It was exciting to successfully be able to translate!!!

Never in my life have I felt like what I am doing is so in line with God’s will. Hugging, playing, and loving children in each of these different places has been one of the most important things I have ever done with my life. This experience has changed my life. God has been breaking and transforming my heart and showing me truth. When I am in these neighborhoods, I feel like I am in the exact spot that I need to be in. It just feels right to love on these kids. In the future I hope to return to Central or South America in order to work in the slums long term.

Literally every day I see and feel the Holy Spirit working. He shows me what people to spend time with and shows me the people who need to feel His love. Many times the Holy Spirit moves me to spend extra time with a certain child or adult. God is working, He is present, you just have to push yourself aside and let Him do His thing; which is challenging sometimes. There have been many moments here when God has had to remind me not to be prideful, because I am His servant. The Lord is good, He is faithful, and I will serve Him with all of my life.

“You answer us with awesome and righteous deeds, God our Savior, the hope of all the ends of the earth and the farthest seas…” Psalm 65:5

1 comment:

  1. Hi Audrey!!!

    Thank you for all of your help translating in the dental clinic this week!! This is Dr. Mike! It was so awesome to get to know you a little bit. Bye!!

    ReplyDelete